Friday, October 27, 2006

my first assignments.

i know the title of this entry is probably the best indication that this is going to be the world's most boring blog entry, so yes, the wise would probably stop reading right about now. :)

i got my first lit essay back today. thankfully, the english are a very sympathetic lot and have decided that the first year of literature doesn't count towards my final degree grade.. hence, there's no GRADE for my first essay. thank God, really. haha. i personally think it was the worst piece of crap i've ever written in my entire life, not to mention the fact that i overshot the word limit by about a thousand words. :P surprisingly, my tutor still went, "oh, why didn't you number your pages or give the word count?", even though the fact that i had written too much was blatantly obvious. he's such a nice guy. haha. he gives really in-depth comments about the essay, like those ms j used to give at the end of the essay, so that's extremely helpful. thank God for great teachers. :) and even though my essay was clearly uninspired, over-analytical and extremely unselective, at least i got some good advice! haha. i hate political poets. perhaps it's the fact that i can't remember anything about the political history of anywhere except singapore. haha. close-minded education, much?

next assignment's shakespearean plays. hoping for the best. :)

my other assignment for this week comes from my linguistics department [the dual-department thing is driving me nuts, btw.] and you're really going to love this.

my assignment is to LOOK UP A WHOLE LIST OF WORDS on the OED [Oxford English Dictionary], and to classify them into being of French, Latin, French or Latin, Nordic or Other origins.

yes, French origin, Latin origin, and French or Latin origin are DIFFERENT categories.

and get this, the list of words must be contextually accurate. they give us a passage where all the words are found, and we have to identify the cultural and syntactical context in which they are used in order to correctly determined the use of the words and their meanings. and there are about a hundred and fifty words.

a HUNDRED AND FIFTY CONTEXTUALLY ACCURATE WORDS THAT I HAVE TO CLASSIFY INTO FRENCH, LATIN, FRENCH OR LATIN, NORDIC or OTHER ORIGINS.

i'll be looking at the bloody dictionary all weekend.

oh, my poor accursed eyes.

ciao.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home